- WWII Camp
- Scenic Vista
- On 277
2000 Est. Pop.: 100.
Location: 8 miles southwest of Abilene on U.S. Highway 277 and FM 707.
History: An acre of land given by J. Stoddard Johnston of Abilene to Anna and Ira Rollins Borders as a wedding present in 1882 eventually turned into a town named Border’s Chapel. In two years, the community grew to 40 families served by a post office, which later closed.
In 1905 residents gathered to discuss a new name, and legend holds that the name Caps was selected after an attendee threw his hat in the air and said, “Let’s call it Caps.”
Caps partnered with the nearby town of View in 1935 to open Butterfield School, which became a part of the Wylie Independent School District in1978. The school was shuttered in May 2006.
Camp Barkeley (December 1940-September 1945), where infantry and supply troops were trained during World War II, was located four miles southwest of Caps. At one point the camp’s population was 50,000. Today Caps is in sight of Dyess Air Force Base, which was dedicated in 1956.
– Source: The Handbook of Texas Online and www.reporternews.com
On the Net: Caps does not have a city government, but the View Volunteer Fire Department, three miles southwest of Caps, provides fire suppression, rescue and first responder services in and around the surrounding area. More information: http://viewvfd.homestead.com/
School Information: Students in Caps attend Wylie Independent School District, which operates five campuses located within the southern portion of the Abilene city limits. Approximate enrollment: 3,200 students. Mascot: Bulldog.
The awards and honors have been many in recent years for the Wylie ISD’s academic and extracurricular activities. In September 2008 Wylie High School was one of only four Texas public high schools to receive the U.S. Department of Education’s No Child Left Behind “Blue Ribbon Schools” award because of high student scores in several core subjects. Only 320 schools in the country received the award.