Location: 21 miles east of Abilene at Interstate 20 and U.S. Highway 283.
Baird started as a railroad construction camp in 1880 when the Texas and Pacific Railway was making its way into the area.
The town, which grew to include a depot, roundhouse and repair shops, is named after Matthew Baird, a surveyor and engineer.
In 1883 a county election moved the county seat from Belle Plain to Baird, leading to the demise of the former and the continued growth of the latter. Workers disassembled the stone jail in Belle Plain, numbering each stone, and reassembled the structure in Baird.
The still-standing jail is at 100 W. 5th St. Other restored historic buildings dot the city. After the turn of the century, Baird diversified its economic base into agriculture and oil.